A
post warranted from long, but somehow not finding the ravines of thought. Finally, it is here. They say, it is never too late.
This
has been a question that has been asked through ages. Every individual despite
the hard work of age and education needs to, time and again, define his own
identity. But the grim question is, what defines “identity”. And hence, I wanted
to make a stand on this aspect.
I
was born in the silk city, famed as “Angh Pradesh”, the capital of the great
warrior king, “Karna”. Maybe that is what drives my favoritism for satin silk
sheets, as periphery of peaceful sleep. And yeah, bravery and standalone “friendship
forever” pragmatism, is another stroke of my character. So, what defines my
identity? The curse lived by Karna in his stand for friendship or the weaving
of silk in pursuance to provide peaceful sleep to the world.
I
think, neither. I have lived, shared bread and salt, breathed and enjoyed life
with individuals from multi - city background. I have seen the enticing warmth of
Hyderabad, the fashion parade of Mumbai, the spice and spark of Delhi, the
sweetness of Kolkata, the serene beauty of Shimla and the pious reverence and
heavenly abode of Kashmir. I think if there is one blend of all, it will be
called “India”, and nothing reminds that more than an India – Pakistan match.
An Indian is a born Indian. His attire might be whatsoever, his accent maybe
whatsoever, his style maybe whatsoever, but an Indian carries India in his
heart. His life maybe whatsoever, but every color of his soul and heart defines
that character that upholds the spirit of humanity in priority.
What
other factors need a remembrance? Oh, any discussion without the evaluation on
the threshold of religion can never find resonance. I was in school, when I took
bible as a story book and managed to read it in a night. There were stories of
countries and civilization which were lost in the anger of God. And the
question that came to my mind was, how a “God” can be most loving who destroys
humanity at the whim of a moment. I had done so many mistakes in life, but my
dad was always assertively advising, he was never tyrannical. And I lost my
faith in Bible. Then started the frequent arrivals of the Muslim cleric. I
learnt those “Surahs”. They did sound musical. But, then they made no sense. I couldn’t
understand much. To the wishes of my parents I did learnt the basic, but “Al
Quran” was an arcade that I never bothered venturing. Later, through one of my
close friends I received, “Bhagwat Gita”. The Sanskrit shlokas jingled a music
once again. But the contrasting change was that the learning of Sanskrit in
school paid off. I was able to understand that “Karma” defines the fate and
living of an individual. I could understand that “God” incarnates in one form
or other, to safeguard the righteous, to punish the tyrant and to restore
order. That made so sense.
But
like mom’s delicacy, the best was saved for the last. And it was a “out of coincidence”
seminar that I went attending on, “why learning Arabic was important”. The schedule
to stick my ass for 20 minutes was lost into an ever memorable flow of logic
that lasted for 3 hours. And the reason dawned. I was able to understand “Bhagwat
Gita”, and hence it made sense. But “Surahs” from “Al Quran” were Morse codes,
waiting to be deciphered. That started a journey to learn Arabic, master it,
till I can, not just read, but understand and feel the miracle of Quran. That
was when I learnt that Allah is Ar Rahman, and “Rahman” is not just merciful,
but Rahman comes from Arabic word, “Rahm”, which is a mother’s womb, where a
child partakes warmth, security, safety, benevolence, fooding and lodging
without a wink of worry. That is the quantum of Allah’s benevolence.
And
now I am back to my question. What or which religion defines an identity? And
the answer is none. Because the gist lies in not the instrument of message, but
the basic understanding of the message itself. And hence, a person’s identity
is not a statistical data pertaining to his nationality, religion, language or
culture. It is the understanding of him as a person. It is a venture that
continues with the ever changing dynamics of a character. The sketch gets painted with every incidence as a stroke of brush, giving a new color to the
identity. Perceptions are born of experiences. And experiences are our
interaction and communication with the world around.
The
world is not a perfect place, as you can always remark of "contrasting identities
in the similar vicinity". Even the five fingers of the same hand are not same. But
then, isn’t it logical? After all, life was never meant to be perfect. And
hence expectations of a perfect individual is a myth. We are all imperfect in
some way. That is what gives us the scope of improvement. Perfection can only
be a state that two imperfect people find in being together.
There
is so much more to say. But for some other time. It is time to write off.

No comments:
Post a Comment